Environment - Valsorda Hotel Ristorante - Forno di Moena - Dolomiti - Trentino

Vai ai contenuti

Menu principale:

English



Forno di Moena, a village on the border between the Fiemme and the Fassa valleys is an ideal base camp: in summer to visit easily the Dolomites from the Pale di S.Martino to the pass of Fedaia, Sella and Pordoi, or to climb the Latemar rocks through the Valsorda or with the nearby chair-lifts; in winter to reach the nearby slopes of Latemar-Obbereggen carousel and Lusia Trevalli carousel or little further to get to the 4 passes tour, to ski at Alpe Cermis or at Rolle Pass.
We are unable to date precisely the foundation of Forno, it is known, however, that in 1188 it was already a productive centre which employed about 1500 people. In this period miners coming from Tyrol, Bohemia and the nearby Friuli populated the Dolomites areas to exploit the various mineral deposits in the territory.

These miners were called Canopus and, in the case of Forno village, they came precisely from Friuli. In Valsorda valley they found deposits of copper and iron in the mountains of Mulat, Bedovina and in Viezzena valley, and then they settled at the bottom of the valley the smelting furnace (the Forno).

To the metal working was subsequently added the haematite working "el Bol roz" (whose deposits were in Valsorda, at the foot of Latemar mountain) and the one of calcite stones, used to make the slaked lime.

Later the village's economy was supplemented with the agriculture and the wood carving, in particular until the end of '800 the activity of cutting fir-trees in Valsorda was considered important.The logs (bore) were carried downstream through canals in stone (cave). Even today the village retains some characteristics of the past times. You can find the "bore pits" and you can see the sawmills and the typical mountain houses.

The small church in Gothic style that rises a little higher than the town dates back to 1517 and it was recently restored. The church was dedicated to St. Lazarus and from the end of nineteenth century it had also become a place of pilgrimage until the early years of  '900.

Particularly interesting is the small village which lies over Forno: Medil. Besides being a charming  corner to visit,   at the mines time  it played  a very  important  role in the mining activity, because right from there departed the mules to transport the coal down to the furnaces.The name Medil should come from "mede de fien", or rather the place where the hay was stacked.
 
Torna ai contenuti | Torna al menu